Monday, September 14, 2009

The BEST meatloaf EVER and dish on "lessons learned"




So hey y'all.... hope everyone is doing well. Today I'm going to post one of my favourite and most secret of all recipes - My yummy HEALTHY meatloaf. Now don't run scared it's not vegan, but it does have more veggies in it than a bottle of V8!!!!!
Everyone that's tried it has loved it, even those who don't care for some of the items in it. I guarantee you this is the healthiest meatloaf you'll ever have and you'll absolutely love it. Normally I'm all about people putting their own spin on the dishes I put up on here but I recommend you really try this first as is before you mess with it.

So first some dish.... with the 7th anniversary of my *29th* birthday coming up here soon as well as Brady's 13th birthday, and all the happenings over the course of the year I have been doing some reflecting, pondering, and sorting things out in my head. It's been a rough year, can't say one of my best and I've had some downs, but it dawned on me yesterday that despite thinking that I'd given up, I've actually just kept on going. To my surprise I think its simply in my nature to never give up. One thing I have learned is that while I may still not be sure of what I want, I am 100% certain of the things I don't; Which is actually not a bad place to be, because once I sort through all the things I don't want the rest of the stuff I can have fun and experiment with and "test drive". I used to think you become less tolerant as you get older, but I think you just weed through the BS much faster is what it is.... so I'm weeding through BS like it's going out of style!!

Now I've said this a million time before and I'll say it again, while I may not have many, I am blessed to have some of the most amazing people in my life. Each one bringing something new and interesting to my life. Each one providing a different view or a contradictory perspective to the way I see things. And they allow me to see things and sometimes experience them as they do which is sometimes frightening, at times challenging, and almost always provides me with a good dose of reality - so I gotta thank my close peeps & family who have put up with my most recent of journeys.... HOLLAR!

So let's rock out this meatloaf!!!!!

This is what I used:
• 1lb lean ground beef
• 1 cup shredded red cabbage
• 2 cups chopped baby spinach
• 1/2 cup if FINELY chopped white onion
• 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper (you may use orange or yellow instead NOT GREEN)
• 1 cup chopped mushrooms
• 1tbsp Soy sauce
• 1tbsp Teryaki sauce
• 1tsp Siracha sauce
• 1tbsp salt
• 1tbsp black pepper
• 1tbsp garlic powder

Preheat your oven to 360°
Take all your chopped/cut/shredded veggies and place them in a large bowl and just sort of mix them up. Mix in your ground meat and add the rest of the seasoning ingredients. Mix all of these up as you would normally for meatloaf. place in your meatloaf pan or baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. In the oven covered for 40 min. Remove from the oven and drain the juice into a stock pot. Place the broiler UNCOVERED for another 15 min.

In that time, bring the meatloaf stock in your pot to a slow boil. Once it starts to reduce add 1tsp of flour to make your gravy, stir that in nice and slow and let it simmer for a bit till it thickens to your liking.

Once the meatloaf is done let is set for at least 10 min before slicing. This is served over cauliflower mash, but it goes well with any regular side. It is perfect comfort food for those days when you're feeling a little ho-hum. But It is really great and with all the veggies and NO bread crumbs or anything like that it is definitely on the healthier side.

Two things I want to note, the mushrooms really help to prevent the meatloaf from drying out...they contain so much moisture that even if you overcook your meatloaf on the outside it will not be dry, so when it comes to the mushrooms feel free to add a little more if you like.
You'll also notice I use siracha in a lot of my cooking, that's because I like spicy flavour and sometimes I like it hotter than other but unlike other hot sauces, siracha tends to have lesser sodium and the sweetness in the sauce comes mostly from the Thai chilis as opposed to just sugar like in most hot sauces.

I hope you have a chance to try this and please, like with all the other stuff I post, if you try it let me know your thoughts or any spin you put on it to pimp it up!!!

3 comments:

  1. I require fat in my diet. Will this work with ground chuck or must I use lean :( meat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. whatever kind you like but then your gravy is all messed up. Lean has enough fat in it... the whole point is to be healthier...

    ReplyDelete
  3. uummm... i'm soooo going to try this recipe.. i've made meatloaf before... but this sounds YUMMMMY!!! you rock my Dickson!!! :)

    ReplyDelete