Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Simple yummylicious meals

Today I'm having friends over for movie night. Just having simple appetizers, finger food and some cocktails. Our Movie is Auntie Mame, which I myself did not see until April of this year (At which time I was granted full membership and I picked up my toaster).
Everyone is bringing a little something, but I'm making my Spinach & Broccoli soup which I'll serve in shot glasses, "Sweet & Naughty" chicken wings, and in honor of Auntie Mame - Martinis, only I'm going to make mine a bit different.

Hope you enjoy making these... note that I like to experiment and encourage you to do the same so feel free to NOT MEASURE!!!!!

Spinach & Broccoli soup
- What you'll need
• 2 Broccoli Crowns separated/cut
• 10oz spinach leaves (baby spinach is better for this recipe)
• 2 cups chicken stock (if you're vegan just use water)
• 1 cup of water
• 1tsp salt
• 1tsp pepper
• 1/4 cup of colby cheese (shredded)
• 1 bay leaf

So... Combine your water, chicken stock, add the bay leaf and bring that to a boil. Once this base begins to bubble add your salt, pepper and throw in your broccoli. cook at medium heat for about 20 minutes or until your broccoli starts to soften. Add the spinach leaves and let that whole situation cook for about another 15 minutes. Once cooked remove the bay leaf and bring the liquid over to a blender or food processor. Set to whip or cream and rock it out till all the broccoli and spinach are liquid.
Bring the soup back into your pot, set to medium low, add the colby cheese a bit at a time and stir. Let that cook on medium-low for about 10 minutes, salt to taste and your soup is DONE!

Should make about 4-6 small bowls. I like to garnish this with some drops of Siracha (Thai chilly sauce) right on the top or you can opt for just a dab of sour cream or BOTH for colour!!!



Sweet & Naughty Wings
- What I made
• Chicken wings 4lb bag of wings
• 1.5 cups of fresh squeezed oj
• 3Tbsp of Siracha or Red Chilli Sauce (this you can use whichever chili sauce you like)
• 1/4 cup of honey
• 2tsp black pepper
• 2tsp salt
• 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary

In the bag combine ALL of the ingredients. Marinade for about 2 hours mixing the wings in the bag so they're all nice and coated in the marinade. Then pop the wings in the grill or even the broiler until done. Serve with some celery, carrots and chive sour cream and you are good to go!


Mint Martinis
- What you'll need
• Vermouth
• Vodka
• Fresh mint

Each drink is 1 part vermouth and 3 parts vodka - just cause it's fun but adjust as you like.
Crush 1 or 2 minnt leaves into your 1 part vermouth. Strain and pour into your shaker. add your vodka and MIX do not shake!!!!! Really important.

Serve in martini glass with mint garnish, you can rim the glass with some sugar if you're into a sweeter cock-tail.




Well I hope you enjoy these recipes that I made up. They're yummylicious to me and the crew so I hope y'all can enjoy sharing with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment