Friday, August 7, 2009

Asta la Pasta

So last night's "movie night" Cock-Tail & Munchie situation was wayyyyy fun. I forgot to mention those martinis will be strong, and I say this because I had 1 too many.

Auntie Mame was 'GHASTLY' funny, we had pop-corn and I also made another yummy movie snack which I think Rebel Sistah enjoys. So this is the other scooby-snack, my own version of trail mix:
• 1 cup salted peanuts (cocktail peanuts are fine)
• 1/2 cup dried cranberries
• 1/2 cup chopped or crumbled dark chocolate (not milk chocolate)

So just mix all that stuff together.
The saltiness of the nuts+sweetness & tang of the cranberries+bittersweet of the dark chocolate = YUMMYLICIOUSNESS!!!!!



Today I'm posting my recipe for what I think is one of my favourite and easiest dishes. It is my version of a pasta salad with chicken and sausage.... my favourite pic-nic to-go food.

What I use
• 1/2 bag of whole wheat rotelle noodles (prefer that over elbow or bow ties) the whole wheat is key. Whole wheat pasta tastes so much better to me.
• 2 Grilled or baked chicken boobs whatever you have already or can buy already cooked
• 8oz of grilled/broiled turkey Polska kielbasa
• 1cup of cubed carrots
• 1-2 broccoli crowns
• 1cup frozen peas
• 1 tbsp soy sauce
• 1 tbsp teriyaki sauce
• 2 tbsp honey
• 1/2 tsp siracha
• dash of salt
• sprinkle of black pepper

I take the chicken and cut that up into nice chunks, and the same with the sausage. Cook the rotelle so they are aldente. Steam the vegetables (this can be done in the microwave of you can use the steam from the pasta as it cooks if you're like me and tend to experiment)
In a wee bowl, mix in your soy sauce, teryaki, honey siracha salt & pepper. Whisk that really well so that your honey really mixes in.
Once your pasta is cooked drain and put back in the pot (preferably noodles are still hot) fold in the sauce you just made, make sure you coat all the noodles with the sauce. THEN add your vegetables and meat. Give that a nice little stir so it's all mixed and there ya go.

This is gr8 because you can make a big batch and eat it either warm or cold...it's fantastic either way. The trick really is in the sauce, the honey and soy in this case really bring out the best of each other, the teriyaki kind of marries the two and the bit of siracha adds that kick that I love.

So this is an ÜBER easy dish which literally is done in less than 30 minutes and I know you'll love it. Feel free to use diff veggies, you can completely go vegan and use no meat - again the trick is in the sauce.

Hope you have a gr8 week-end!!!!

If you try any of these I'd love to hear how it went and if you liked.... Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. yes - i (and my thighs) can attest - Rebel Sistah DID love the dark chocolate trail mix!

    ReplyDelete